Thursday, October 22, 2009

Taking "the old and the new" out of hibernation

Back in my "The old and the new" post from Jan 2008, I told you about some projects that I was working on - Wisteria socks for my mother, Heat Wave socks for my sister and Felted Bag KAL.

Well, the reason it has taken me this long to blog again about these projects is because they seem to have been reluctant to reach completion.

I continued working on the Burgundy Wisteria socks to discover in April 2008 that I did not have enough yarn to finish the toes on the second sock. This caused me to put these socks into hibernation until I could get up the courage to frog them back and make them one size smaller. In August 2008, I took them out of hibernation and finally finished them. Luckily, despite making them smaller, they still fit my mother.



Now, the Heat Wave socks for my sister are still not done. As mentioned in my "The old and the new" post, I had originally knit this yarn into Monkey socks. But after discovering that the socks would be too big and figuring out that the yarn did not really like the Monkey pattern, I frogged them back and started knitting the Heat Wave pattern. Well, back in April 2008, I ran out of yarn for these socks as well. However, I am short so much yarn (as can be seen in the picture below) that no frogging back will allow me to finish with this pattern. So, this got put into a long hibernation...



It has now finally come out of hibernation. A few weeks ago I frogged them back and casted on to reknit this yarn as toe up socks using a pattern from the New Pathways for Sock Knitters book by Cat Bordhi. I am knitting the Spiraling Coriolis sock pattern.

And as far as the Felted Bag KAL goes, once I felted the knitted project, it felted to much smaller than I was originally anticipating. So the bag that I had originally envisioned would no longer be possible. So, this got put into hibernation until I could think of another bag project. Finally, in September 2009, I took it out of hibernation. I decided to Needle Felt some Japanese symbols indicating "Life Energy" onto the bag, I purchased some leather handles, and finally put the bag together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really nice finished projects, the felted bag is particularly nice.

Next time you don't have enough yarn for sock, either add stripes or knit mitts instead...

See you in 7 sleeps
Manon