Saturday, January 12, 2008

The old and the new

I have promised you updates on my knitting projects, so here goes.

Over the last couple of months I have been focusing on trying to finish some projects - so that I can eventually start some new ones ;-)

Since finishing the Clarence Border Scarf from Victoria Lace, I have also finished two other scarves: the wavy scarf and the Falling Leaves Scarf.

I really love the way the Wavy Scarf turned out. This scarf was knit from polwarth that Heidi from London Wul dyed, that my friend Tanya spun and that I knit. Being a group effort makes it even more special.

Wavy Scarf

And finally, earlier today, I finally got around to blocking my falling leaves scarf and the clarence border scarf as can be seen in the picture below:

Clarence Border and Falling Leaves Scarf

Over the Christmas Holiday, I took some time to wash the wool that I bought at McAuslands Mill during the spinner's retreat in October. I also washed and hung to dry the handspun polwarth that I had spun during the retreat.

My sink held the handspun:
Washing Handspun

While my tub was full of the stuff from the mill:
Washing yarn from McAuslands

It sure made for a colorful rainbow in my bathroom while it was drying.

Washing Yarn

I also started a pair of socks for my mother, and another for my sister. These are still works in progress, but I am working on the second sock of each of these pairs.

I am knitting the Wisteria Socks using Fleece Artist Merino Sock Yarn for my mother:

Wisteria for RM

And I am knitting the Heat Wave Socks using Fleece Artist Merino Sock Yarn for my sister:

Heat Wave for Nicole

I will be happy if I ever finish these socks for my sister. They were supposed to be a christmas present. However, after knitting past the heal using this yarn and the Monkey Socks pattern, I discovered that the sock was going to be way too big, and the yarn really was not liking the monkey sock pattern. So I frogged it all back and started again. I opted for the Heat Wave pattern because I had knit it before using Fleece Artist Merino sock yarn and had had great success. This delay made me decide not to finish them for Christmas

A few posts back, I had said that I needed to finish some projects before I was allowed to start some new ones. Well, since I did finish a few, I decided that I was going to participate in the Bags with Blankets KAL being held at London Wul. I am using the Pink Bluefaced Leicester I had purchased at London Wul's Harvest sale last fall. And this past weekend, under the influence of Heidi who helped me pick the color, I purchased some Fleece Artist Goldilocks to combine with the Bluefaced Leicester. Aren't the colors just amazing:

Yarn for felted bag

I decided to knit the two yarns together on every row. I am simply going to knit a large rectangle, and then I am going to Felt the rectangle. Once the piece has been felted, I will cut it up and sew it to create a bag.

And I think I may have finally found a pattern for the tank top I want to knit using the silk/cotton I purchased at London Wul's harvest sale. Once I confirm that I have enough yarn for the pattern I will let you know all about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, you may not blog very often but when you do, you say a lot...

There's a lot to say about all the individual pictures but I'll just agree with you that the pink yarn you chose (with some help from Heidi) is going to make a nice project. Go go Line go!! (are you making the afgan too).

Manon