Sunday, March 2, 2008

Yippee!!! It's finally here!

Back about a month ago, I ordered an Ashford Traditional refurbished spinning wheel on eBay. It was coming all the way from New Zealand, and I chose to take the least expensive shipping in order to save money. This is also the slowest shipping method.

I was hoping that the wheel would be in before Friday February 29th, since I had a vacation day scheduled for that day. So for the past two weeks, I have been stopping at the mailbox, hoping against hope that the post office would have left a little card in there for me telling me to go pick up my package at the nearest post office. I kept going every day and it was with great disappointment that on the evening of Thursday February 28th I stared at an empty mailbox.

I figured I would not let that ruin my vacation day. So, I sat and decided to cast off the felted bag I am currently working on. I will post about this further in a few days. As I was sitting there knitting, the doorbell rang. I am thinking, who in the world can be at the door when there usually isn't anybody home. I got up in a hurry and managed to tangle myself in my knitting. It took me a few minutes to untangle myself and finally get to the door. As I am climbing the stairs, I look out the window and see the Canada Post truck backing out of my driveway. Like a madwoman, I dash to the door and start waiving my arms frantically. Luckily, the postman noticed me. After all, how could he not notice a madwoman waiving her arms???

I was very excited to see that it was indeed my long awaited spinning wheel.

First my cat and I had a close look at the box to see what would be the best way of opening it.

unopened box

Then once I got it open, I realized that I had some work ahead of me before I actually started spinning.

opened box

I took all of the pieces out of the box and laid them out.

laid out pieces of spinning wheel

After about an hour and a half, I was ready to spin.

spinning wheel

Since Friday, I have spun up the beige roving I received with the spinning wheel and double plied it.

beige roving

two ply handspun beige roving

I have also spun some of Heidi's marvelous hand dyed polwarth. And I decided to be adventurous and taught myself to navajo ply it.

navajo plied handspun polwarth

Now back to spinning.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATION!!

I love the way you and the cat decided to methodically open the box.

Manon
I wonder what went through the mailman mind while watching you in his rear miror running up to him like a madwoman...

The Gourmet Goddess said...

Congratulations! That is exciting news indeed! I hope your new friend brings you lots of enjoyment for years to come.

Anonymous said...

Liiiiiiiiine, are you theeeerrrrrrre?

Manon :)