Monday, October 15, 2007

Maritime Spinner's Retreat!!!

I had the most amazing weekend. I attended that 7th Annual Maritime Spinner's Retreat that was held at the Rodd Mill River Resort in PEI.

Tanya, CJ and I all drove up to PEI together to attend the retreat. We started off the weekend by visiting MacAusland's Woollen Mill which was just a few minutes away from the resort. They graciously had remained open later than usual to allow all of the fiber crazy people attending the retreat to visit and make some purchases.

PA120002

I purchased a baker's dozen seconds to use for weaving:

MacAusland Mill purchase

and some fleece for spinning:

PA150024

At registration for the retreat, we were given a surprise bag which contained lots of silk fiber goodies:

Retreat gift

There were several opportunities throughout the weekend to make purchases from fiber vendors. Same as most everyone at the retreat, I fell victim to spending lots of money on fiber and yarn.

From Gaspereau Valley Farms I purchased 100g of the softest silk, and 100g of finger roving Fleece Artist Sea Wool (70% wool, 30% seacell).

From Cobweb Woollies, I purchases two skeins of lace weight mohair/wool blend.

Gaspareau Valley purchases

I was also the lucky winner of a bag of Polwarth complements of London Wul.

prize

I had the opportunity to meet many fiber artists that were super friendly and always happy to share all they have learned about fiber arts throughout their lives.

PA130011

PA130006

Rosalie won the contest for spinning the longest string of silk spun from a silk hankie in 1 minute. She won a gift pack of silk products:

PA130010

Despite all the time spent eating, shopping, and chatting, I still managed to finish spinning on my drop spindle the 1/4 lb of Polwarth I bought from London Wul back in January.

PA150016

I will definitely be attending the 8th Annual Maritime Spinner's Retreat. Maybe I will even have a wheel by then.

3 comments:

The Gourmet Goddess said...

Maybe you'll have a wheel by then?! I'd say the odds are good that you will be the proud owner of your very own wheel long before then. You do have all that fleece to spin.... and it would go soooooo much faster on a wheel.

Anonymous said...

Hoowooooo, another spinning converted!!

Manon

Anonymous said...

That looks like so much fun!!!